Trinity Lutheran Congregation began as a mission in 1856 by Pastor Ludwig Habel. He held services 4 times a year. That is how often the people communed each year. The land where the current parsonage stands was purchased and a log structure was built for use as a church and school. On the Sundays when the pastor was not available church officers conducted services. One layman who was noted as often conducting worship was Fredrick Gauger. The church was first named: Lutheran Community of the Triune God. A woman teacher was hired in autumn of the same year and was active in the school until 1880.